Plot 27

Plot 27
Sandy's Allotment

Thursday 8 April 2010

8th April 2010

Yesterday arrived home to find that a friend had left me 3 bags of very good quality horse muck by my front door. There was also an email from David to say that 2 very large raised beds had been made and were waiting for me on my plot. How lucky am I to have two such supportive people around me.

Woke up to glorious sunshine and no commitments. I decided that I would get to the plot early today. So having walked the dog and eaten breakfast I managed to set off and arrived on site at 8am.

My task today was an obvious one. To turn over and fine weed an area large enough to accommodate one of the raised beds which David had made for me and then move it into position.

I am pleased to report that I was very successful in this task which was quickly followed by the emptying of the 3 bags of horse muck inside. I then headed off, pushing my wheelbarrow, to the other side of the car park in progress to fill it with some top soil. A huge pile of which was created by our contractor when digging out our car park.

Unfortunately the car park is not finished yet and actually getting the wheel barrow there was the first hurdle as it is not particularly even at this point in time. Having arrived I then began to shovel some top soil into the barrow. That went well and I must say very good top soil it is too. However turning round and trying to wheel the barrow now fully laden over an uneven rough car park was not the easiest of tasks. As I am not one to give up without a battle I persevered and am pleased to report that I managed, albeit in very small pushes to get the top soil back to Plot 27 and in particular to the raised bed. I have resolved, however, to delegate this task of filling a raised bed to Nick, my better half.

All in all clearing the land, moving the raised bed, adding horse muck and one wheelbarrow load of topsoil took four and a half hours of concentrated effort.

It is however, wonderfully satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment